Live Traffic Feed

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Sven Ericson boosted by trio

England have enjoyed a day of fantastic good news - with Michael Owen, Jermaine Jenas and Wayne Rooney all on the comeback trail

Owen gave the Three Lions the biggest boost of all when he declared himself fit to play in the World Cup after hitting the net in a practice match at England’s pre-tournament training camp in Portugal this morning.But Tottenham star Jenas was also given permission to train again on Thursday after a shin injury while Rooney’s progress in recovering from a broken foot was praised by Sven-Goran Eriksson.Owen, who has played only one game since breaking a bone in his foot on New Year’s Eve, has been an injury doubt for the last five months. But he completed his second training session in two days with England in the Algarve and scored twice in a nine-a-side game."If there was a World Cup game tomorrow I would be in condition to play," he said."I am feeling fit. I have been feeling fit for quite a while now I am excited about the World Cup. There are no doubts at all in my mind about being fit for the first game against Paraguay. None at all."Of course it is a relief, but I was always confident. All the way through I have never been down about it, I always thought I would be fit."Owen’s recovery could hardly be better news for Sven and his England squad as they bask in the Portuguese sun. And the Newcastle striker looked extremely sharp in training.His recovery and Jenas’ progress leaves England with only Rooney to worry about, and the news for him could yet prove positive too.England Head Coach Eriksson said: "On 25 May we will know much more of the situation, that is the date of his next scan."I have always been positive. But not for medical reasons - I have been positive because he will do absolutely everything to try to get fit as quickly as possible."Wayne Rooney not in the World Cup, I don’t think he even believes that will be the truth. Of course he should be there.

0 comments: